Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Silence of the Shepherds

“Speak for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of the destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” Proverbs 31:8-9

Over the past several months, state funding for education, healthcare and human services in Arizona has been cut back sharply, with even more severe cuts proposed for next year’s budget. School nurses, social workers, and classroom teachers are losing their jobs. Homeless and domestic violence shelters are closing or scaling back. Child Protective Services no longer has the staff to follow up on every report of child abuse or neglect. Assistance for the poor and the vulnerable has been slashed, putting at risk thousands of people already living on the margins. Key legislative leaders are seeking to destroy the Department of Economic Security, the state's safety net.

In the midst of this crisis, I’ve been struck by the silence. The silence of leaders of the faith community. The silence of the shepherds. Of course, there are some who are not silent. A few spoke out at a Valley Interfaith Project meeting two weeks ago at Dayspring United Methodist Church in Tempe. A few others spoke at a rally last week at the state capitol on behalf of foster care children and families in Arizona. Many more faith leaders should have been at these and similar gatherings to “defend the rights of the poor and needy.” Where are they? Who will preach the cause of justice and righteousness not only in the pulpit, but also in the public square?

I have been convicted by my own silence. To date, I have said little. I expect to pay a price for speaking out now. How high, I do not know. But, there are moral and spiritual issues at stake as governmental leaders deliberate the fate of the poor and vulnerable in Arizona. In my church’s prayer room last month, the Lord spoke to me from Jeremiah: “Get yourself ready! Stand up and say to them whatever I command you. Do not be terrified by them, or I will terrify you before them” (Jeremiah 1:17). So I will stand up and speak out. I respect and honor those who have done so before me. And I welcome others to join us in common cause to “speak for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of the destitute.”

1 comment: